fullerenesfriends
F4E in full afect! What up dawg?

I'm writing a paper on MMA for school

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm writing a paper on MMA for school

Post by fullerene on Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 am

I'm pretty excited, and I thought I would post what I have so far in case you guys had any comments. It's only about 15% done.

A Brief History of MMA

MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. It is the modern derivative of ultimate fighting, a no-holds-barred style of combat used by ancient peoples like the Greeks as a way of testing who was the strongest and most powerful unarmed fighters. Although MMA is now a top sport that you can see on TV all the time, it was not always this way. The ultimate fighting style was largely forgotten for many centuries as societies became more civilized and sports like boxing and wrestling became substitutes for combat competitions.

But then the Gracies from Brazil met a Japanese man who told them about ultimate fighting and how the best ultimate fighters used jiu jitsu but that the jiu jitsu in Japan wouldn’t work anymore against wrestlers because it hadn’t been modernized. The Gracies studied these concepts and decided to create their own form of fighting, called Gracie Jiu Jitsu (GJJ), and they used it to revitalize the sport of ultimate fighting—first in their native Brazil and then in the United States and then after that in Japan and other places.

People were amazed by the style and success of the Gracies and soon fighters like Helio Gracie were national figures, even more famous than the most famous Brazilian soccer stars! The Gracies challenged every fighter and every style imaginable and this was called the Gracie Challenge. Because the family studied very hard and had special techniques that other fighters had not seen, the Gracies never lost a fight to any fighter no matter how big and good the other fighter was. This undefeated streak went on for many generations and many fighters up until modern times. We will discuss this, and the emergence of Sakuraba, later in this paper.

The greatest of the Gracie fighters after Helio was definitely Royce Gracie. Although he was not a big man and looked like the kind of guy who might get picked on by other types of fighters like Ken Shamrock or Pat Smith, Royce beat everybody he faced in the early Ultimate Fighting Championships. These brutal contests were done as a tournament with several fighters representing different styles like kickboxing, striking, pit fighting, wrestling and others. Any technique was allowed, including biting, groin strikes and eye gouging. (It was only many years later that Dana White changed the rules so that these techniques were outlawed to protect the fighters). In this rough and tumble world Royce Gracie stood alone, undefeated against all other fighters because of his master of Gracie Jiu Jitsu. He beat many big fighters like Dan Severn and Kimo because it didn’t really matter that they were bigger since Royce could just use his jiu jitsu on them. After the UFC decided to make rules for the fights, Royce Gracie left in protest, but he was still undefeated.

Also during this time there were other Gracies that fought like Renzo Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Royler Gracie and other Gracies that were not as famous.
fullerene
Best Friend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm writing a paper on MMA for school

Post by fullerene on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 pm

TTT - I really value you guys' input!
fullerene
Best Friend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fullerene on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:23 pm

This was supposed to be a site exclusive, but I think I'm going to post it somewhere else, somewhere where people will give me guidance.
fullerene
Best Friend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fullerene on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:57 am

Well, I did it. And the comments I'm receiving elsewhere are really putting this site to shame. Sad

Come on guys!
fullerene
Best Friend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top